17 November 2010

Why are we here?

I'm kind of a "veteran" of the internets now.  I've been participating in discussions on email listservs, message boards, and political blogs for over 10 years.  I was even a moderator on the largest unofficial pearl jam message board on the web for over four years.  And yet I've never really had a place to call my own until this place.

Why now?  Frankly, I've become tired of the conversation.  I don't want to listen anymore.  I don't care much about what other people think, feel, like, or do.  People aren't really "doing it for me" these days.  And yet I still miss having an outlet of sorts to express myself and what I think, feel, like, or do.

I know.  It's the height of self-centeredness to want to talk at people without hearing what they have to say in return.  Hey, at least I can recognize it in myself.  Unlike every other blog on the internet, self-involved wankery is the conscious point of this blog.  Take it or leave it.  I'm happy to share, but if no one is listening, that's OK too.  This is really about me and having to get the thoughts out there.

When I was a younger man, I wanted to know it all.  I am an Aquarian, after all.  But at the same time, like Prometheus, I felt that it was my duty to impart that which I had learned to as many other people as I could.  I mean, what's the point of knowing things if they remain locked up inside your own head, right?

Of course, I eventually learned that people don't want to have knowledge forced upon them.  Hell, most people don't even want to have knowledge pointed out to them, and a great many people attempt to actively hide from knowledge and convince themselves that certain facts do not exist or, in the extreme, that those facts are actually lies promulgated by shadowy forces to challenge their faith.  At this point in the history of the world, I feel that Americans are more likely to believe a lie than the truth, so I don't really think there's much point in engaging in meaningful conversation at all.


I have a beautiful, intelligent, witty and utterly honest wife.  I have three little boys whom I love tremendously and make life worth living everyday, just as they regularly drive me up a wall.  For the first time in years, I really like my job and the place where I live.  I also think that we are all fucking doomed.

Not my family.  YOU.  All of us. 

It's OK.  Not like we can really do anything about it, so there's no point in fretting about it.  Just do what you have to do every day, make your living, love the people in your life, and see what tomorrow brings.  Don't fool yourself into thinking tomorrow is going to be better than today though.


This blog will be an exposition of why I have come to this place.  I'll post some political stuff.  I'll post some music.  I'll post some comedy.  I'll post some essays about things I think I've figured out (to some extent).  Please join the blog and comment.  I may engage back, I may not.  I may delete your post.  You're welcome.

It can't be all that bad, right?  Let's do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment